OSTC FAMILY CYCLE RIDE
Sunday 10th March
We will be following the canal from “Toys-R-Us” Oldbury along the Langley Branch to the Birmingham mainline canal, then along it to Galton Bridge. After a short regroup (others joining) we will continue to the Nia in Birmingham. We will then have a coffee break at Starbucks. There are toilets inside the NIA and we will bring the bikes inside with us. (These Canal pathways are gravelled throughout and wide on mainline)
- This is an easy ride not a coached session
- Swimmers/triathletes their children/parents/siblings/other family members and friends all welcome
- All under 18's must have an adult participating who is designated as their guardian for the event
- We encourage everyone to where a cycling safety helmet and gloves
- We recommend you dress appropriately for weather conditions, but not in a way that intrudes on safety of your ability to cycle
- This ride is off road throughout
- The mainline canal path section was re-gravelled in 2018 and generally is of a excellent wide cycling surface
- When passing under/over bridges or next to locks the surface changes to brick and as such can be slippy, leave 2 bike spaces
- On the Langley branch there are locks. These drops/rises can be steep, leave 3 bikes space between riders here
- From Langley branch to mainline the canal follows under the M5 and its road works, the ground here in parts is uneven
- Although we are a swimming club, this is a cycle ride and as such please ride safely to prevent the need to swim
- There is no age limit, however stabilizers and very small wheels are not suitable to keep up. Think ability & fitness level!
- It is expected that each way will take a max of 55 minutes easy pace, but only 25 minutes from & return to Galton Bridge.
- For those doing the shorter ride from Galton Bridge, there is a free carpark opposite the train station. Meet Paul Lucas on Bridge
- You're welcome to meet us en route as we pass by Langley High St., Langley train crossing etc. be there early as we won't be stopping
- The ride will go ahead as long as not below -5 deg or raining heavy
- In order to get an advance idea of numbers if you intend to participate, please email Mark giving main name and amount on email@example.com
- Remember to bring; money for coffee etc. (next to Starbucks there is a Subway & W H Smiths), spare inner-tubes etc.